Monday 13 January 2020

Crochet Baubles

Hello, thank you for calling in.  It's a miserable old day here but I had a very quiet and lovely weekend full of reading, crochet and a rare visit to the cinema, to see Little Women.  I think this was the first time the Best Beloved and I have been to the cinema together for five years and I think we might do it again soon because I enjoyed it.  I approved of the film except for the miscasting of handsome, youthful-looking, French-accented actor Louis Garrel as Professor Bhaer and I think that Greta Gerwig has done a fine job of both writing the screenplay and directing the film.  I hope she will be nominated for an Oscar in about an hour's time.

However, what I really want to share with you today is a bit of crochet.  Now that Christmas gifts have been delivered and opened it's safe for me to show you some of the things I made so here are some baubles



I made these with Drops Paris, a cotton yarn in an aran weight, but I used a smaller hook than usual, 4mm, to keep the stitches close and prevent the stuffing falling out.  I loved every bit of the process of making these, from choosing the colours, crocheting the yarn, choosing the buttons and beads and bells, the sewing up and stuffing to the little photo shoot.  The pattern is the Attic 24 Bauble Decoration and you can find it here if you'd like to.  I made these in the summer and crocheted the shapes first.  Then, one day in August among the unpredictability and chaos caused by a new baby, when I needed silence and solitude to regain some equilibrium, I carried a tray out to the summerhouse and while the Painted Ladies and Peacocks danced outside, I carefully and thoughtfully put the baubles together.  They filled me with happiness. 


I loved them so much that I made some more, I couldn't help myself.  When The Teacher saw them, she asked me to make one for her and she hung it on her Christmas tree.  They were well-received and some of my friends told me that they intend to keep them out all year round, not just at Christmas, which made me very happy because that was my hope when I chose the not-specifically-Christmas colours. 
I think I should make some for myself because looking at these jolly, bright photos is making me happy on this miserable old day.
See you soon.
Love, Mrs Tiggywinkle x

18 comments:

  1. Oh, you did such a great job of these! I want to try to make them now! Don't you just love Lucy from Attic 24 sharing her patterns? I once left a comment admiring some blue flowers she had in a pot and she sent me an email telling me the name! (Lobelia.)
    Glad to know you liked "Little Women"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay. I think Lucy is very generous, sharing her patterns so freely. Her blog inspired me to learn to crochet and there's a Dune pack waiting in my spare room. x

      Delete
  2. Those bright colours are just what's required on this dull January afternoon. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I meant to say (but that pretty blue flower made me forget!) that I love your header photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's Ironbridge, taken in December 2017. We haven't had any snow at all yet this year. x

      Delete
  4. They do indeed look gorgeous, just the sort of thing I like and would fiddle with for ages. Glad you enjoyed the film, I haven't been able to get to see it yet unfortunately. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed the film very much - and there is some lovely knitwear. x

      Delete
  5. I can't believe you made such lovely baubles and didn't keep one for yourself, still, it gives you a reason (if you need one) to make more. Glad you enjoyed Little Women, I rarely go to the cinema so I'll probably wait for it to come on Sky, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either. I have two pairs of socks and a scarf to knit this month but I'm planning to get the Drops Paris and the beads out next month. I've been to the cinema four times in the last eighteen months but now that I've found a nice one I might go more often. Little Women is really lovely. x

      Delete
  6. They are indeed gorgeous and inspirational. I see me making some in the near future, they would make great gift toppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You'll whip these up in no time at all - and I used some of your buttons so I thought of you while I was making them. I hope you are keeping safe from Storm Brendan. x

      Delete
  7. Such bright baubles are wonderful year-round! Love the escape to the garden shed to put them together. Sometimes a little solitude is a great fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fond of solitude, Lorrie, perhaps a bit too fond. I was never a child who said, "I'm bored," because I was always happy to be by myself, reading a book. x

      Delete
  8. I love those baubles they are so pretty and being of non festive colours they could be used at any time. I haven't seen the film of Little Women but I remember reading the book whilst still at school and always imagined Profesor Bhaer as a huge, shambling and slightly clumsy man with a kind heart and lots of hair:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie. You are spot on about Professor Bhaer, when I got home I fished out my copy of the book and looked up his description. He's definitely not supposed to be handsome. x

      Delete
  9. These seem just right for little hands that loved to bash things on the lower branches of our festive tree this year! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to make sure I sewed on those buttons, beads and bells VERY firmly because of our little-handed person! He was very taken with them. x

      Delete