Saturday 18 March 2017

In My Garden

Hello, thank you for calling in, it's lovely to see you here.  Today I am linking up with Amy at Love Made My Home as she hosts Five On Friday for the last time, so you are especially welcome here if you have come via Amy's blog. 
 
My life hasn't been very exciting recently - it has been quite full, but full of small, ordinary things, not interesting things to share with you.  There has been a lot of knitting, but also a lot of frogging so it's not ready for a Ta-dah! yet.  There has, as always, been a lot of cooking, but everyday meals, not wow-look-at-this creations.  There has been time spent with friends, but I couldn't POSSIBLY tell you what we've talked about!!  There have been some visits to old churches, but I am not ready to share yet, and I don't want to be the woman whose blog posts are all about old churches.  However, I was very keen to take part in Five On Friday this week because it's Amy's last week as host and I wanted to acknowledge her sterling work which has introduced me to so many of your blogs and brought me many more readers than I would otherwise have.  My only difficulty was finding five sufficiently interesting things to share with you.
 
Mother Nature brought them to me on Wednesday when I ventured out into the garden.  My back garden always looks very scruffy through the winter as we don't tidy it up in the autumn, a deliberate ploy to provide food and shelter for the little creatures which visit here.  It doesn't bother us because we can't see the back garden from the house and rarely have cause to go out there during the winter months, so it is deliberately planted to look its best during the summer.  The tidy-up usually happens in April during the Easter holidays but on Wednesday the sun was shining and the temperature a balmy 16 degrees Celsius  so I decided to make an early start on the pruning and weeding (these are my jobs as the Best Beloved only likes the kind of gardening which involves A Machine). 
 
I was stopped in my tracks by this sight in my neighbour's garden and hurried back indoors to get my camera -
 
 
The dying camellia flowers have dropped and landed in a bed of crocus.  I found the image arrestingly beautiful and I am aware that I haven't caught that on camera, but to me, it also symbolised the turn of the seasons, the fading of winter and the vibrant life of spring.  Looking up, there were plenty of glorious flowers still holding onto the shrub -
 
 
I sat beneath a buddleia and looked up through the new, lush, green growth at the blue sky above -
 
 
 
Further down the garden, the forsythia was absolutely glowing in the sunshine -
 
 
I spent a couple of hours out there and it felt soooooooo good; not only the warmth of the sun on my body but the satisfaction of a tired body after physical exertion and a tidier patch of garden.  If you have been reading here for a while, you may know that I am an astronomical kind of gal and I define the seasons by the movement of the Earth around the Sun, so Spring can't begin until the equinox on 20th March, but as I sat in the sunshine looking at the new growth and listening to the courting birds I had to acknowledge that Spring is already springing - but of course, I couldn't possibly admit that in public!
 
 
So there you are, five photographs taken in my almost-Spring garden on a beautiful March day.  Huge thanks to Amy for building the lovely, warm community that is Five On Friday and good wishes to her for her future.  I hope to be here next Friday for the first Five On Friday to be hosted by Tricky and Carly at F.A.S.T.  In the meantime, I really ought to sort out that flamin' knitting.
 
See you soon,
 
Love, Mrs Tiggywinkle x
 
 
 

15 comments:

  1. How perfect! Some springtime beauty...warm sun, a blue sky, pretty blossoms...and garden tools...life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I'm looking forward to sitting in the sunshine and doing some weeding. We have had a lot of rain and so even weeding in sunshine sounds delightful. You are getting some good color already. I think my forsythia is about a week or two behind yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful, it all seems to have happened really quickly although it hasn't been a bad winter. Maybe we'll get even more sunny days after tomorrow. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pink and purple of the camellias and crocus. Such a lovely combination. Doesn't it feel good to get out there at he start of a new gardening season. Roll on summer. Which btw starts on June 21st and reaches midsummer three days later. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos and lovely sentiments said about our Amy. ;) Thanks for sharing the flower photos. They go right to my soul! I can't wait to get back to digging in the dirt. Our snow has gone down a lot and with our nice forecast ahead I think the rest of it will finally melt away. Yay! I saw a big group of geese flying back yesterday...a good sign of Spring in my northwoods.
    Blessings on your weekend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those beautiful flowers make me want to plant camellias. I'm such a brown thumb, I hate to kill another plant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wednesday was such a beautiful day wasn't it? So hard not to go out into the garden in that lovely weather. I just love the colour combination of the pink camelias and the purple crocus. I love to see that colour combination with pink roses and purple clematis in the summer, so pretty. Have a lovely weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The camellias dropped among the crocus is a beautiful image of natural art. They are both such lovely flowers. 16 degrees! I'm a wee bit jealous. I think we've made it to 11 degrees, with a chilly wind. Tomorrow will be spring's official arrival and I hope she starts strutting her stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it lovely to see all these spring flowers and feel a bit of warmth? Jx

    ReplyDelete
  10. it seems the whole world (well, northern hemisphere at least) is warming up and coming to life, plenty of inspiration for five on friday posts outdoors :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too like to live by the sun and follow the natural seasons. Spring is definitely starting to make an appearance and the warmth will get strong and stronger. I hope you had a lovely weekend and managed to capture a few more moments in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These really are lovely photos! The camellia in the crocus are so pretty. Would make a lovely fabric print! Hope you enjoy more days out in the spring sunshine. Sending hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for finding five lovely things to share this time. I am sorry that I am late visiting, somehow my mojo is missing but I am stealing a few minutes away from cleaning my kitchen and happened by your blog and wanted to say thank you. Sorry this isn't a cheerier message, but it is one said with great thanks for being a great supporter! Hope that you are having a good week with your knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You actually get "winter flowers"?! Amazing, and they are gorgeous too! I really like that shot of the camillia blooms gently landed in a bed of crocus. The colours are so pretty together. I have always loved forsythia, but my husband hates the unruly-ness of it. Needless to say, we don't have one in our yard. What a shame that you can't see your garden from inside your house because all those spring colours look marvelous! Enjoy your weekend!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. How great! Some springtime beauty...warm sun, a blue sky, lovely blossoms...and plant tools...life is great!..

    ReplyDelete