Saturday 2 December 2017

Advent Candles

Hello, thank you for dropping in, you are very welcome here.  If you read yesterday's post you will know that I am trying to write something here every day during December - well, perhaps every day between now and Christmas - and share my festive preparations with you.

I love candles at any time of year and really, at any time of day - I lit a candle while I had a bath yesterday morning - and so it seems natural that I count down the days to Christmas with an Advent candle.  I don't have an Advent wreath because we have so little space, but I can always find room for one solitary candle.  When my girls were small it was a special moment, the nightly lighting of the candle, and it was a useful way of showing them how many nights there were left before the huge excitement of Christmas Eve, but I think it was really for me!  The significance of one little flame dispelling the darkness is something I find both comforting and hopeful.

A couple of years ago I found a set of numbered Advent tealights and discovered that I preferred them to the traditional candle: for a start, they burned for much longer, and secondly, I didn't have to keep an eye on them to make sure that I didn't burn too many days at once, which often makes me a little anxious.  Nope, light the tealight, enjoy it for a couple of hours and once it's out, that's it, plenty of room for distraction and no harm done.  So, this year, these are my Advent candles - 


I bought this set in Laura Ashley a few days before Christmas last year, reduced from £16 to £5 and yes, I know £5 is a bit hefty but the price included the star-shaped tealight holder and I feel quite sure that I shall use it outside of Advent.  I always buy my Advent candles when the price is reduced in December and the miracle is that I can always find them the following year in time for Advent!  So now we are counting down, marking off the days one tealight at a time.


See you tomorrow.

Love, Mrs Tiggywinkle x

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful idea. I use battery candles, not as nice as real, but I always worry about the cat knocking over a real one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use battery candles when our children were small. - the light is still lovely but the anxiety is greatly reduced. x

      Delete
  2. My advent candle comes from Denmark, it’s a long story which I will share with you one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Advent candle is glorious - and huge! I hope you are enjoying it. x

      Delete
  3. These are lovely. I’ve never seen candles like them before. The light shining in the darkness is so symbolic and it is lovely that you can enjoy a candle for a couple of hours each night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they lovely? Each one burns for almost four hours so they are good value. I know that you can buy wax "candle pens" so if I can't find any of these for next year, I shall buy a pen and write my own numbers on plain tealights. x

      Delete