Sunday 8 December 2019

The First Week of Advent

Hello, thank you for dropping in.   It's a busy time of year, isn't it?  I am always tempted to panic at this point in December when I think about how much there is to do before Christmas, no matter how organised I am, but this year, I feel quite relaxed.  I popped out one day this week to buy a few gifts and found the shops quite civilised which was very helpful for a worrier like me.  I have some more to buy and there is some industrious knitting and crochet going on which may well become frantic knitting and crochet in a couple of weeks' time but at the moment, I feel that everything is on track and I am enjoying Advent.

My "Merry Christmas" mug is in daily use, reminding me to be cheerful and of the jollities to come, the glow of the Advent tealights brightens my evenings (although not enough to help me with my dark brown knitting project - what was I thinking?) and honestly, I am rushing downstairs like a child every morning to open my Advent calendars, it's quite ridiculous for a woman of my age.  Would you like to see how the new wooden Nativity is coming on?


I must admit that I am a little worried that there are all these stray animals in Bethlehem and so far, not a single person to look after them.  I am hoping that somebody will turn up soon.

Something else which I am enjoying is Selma's blog, Eclectic Home and Life.  She loves Christmas and blogs every day during Advent, sharing traditions, recipes and crafts from her Norwegian heritage which are really helping me get in the right mood.  On Thursday evening I used her recipe for pepperkake to make up some dough and the next day I took it to The Teacher's house along with a baking sheet, a heart-shaped cutter, my rolling pin and the small rolling pin which my mother bought for my daughter when she was a small child.  Tom Kitten and I had a lovely time together rolling the dough, cutting out the shapes and getting absolutely covered in flour.   



They have all gone now and I shall definitely make some more as they were delicious. 

Yesterday we had a festive family trip on the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway with The Teacher, Flashman and the children.  Tom Kitten has seen steam trains in books and on television but he hadn't seen a real one before and he was a bit overawed at first.  He enjoyed the journey, looking out of the window at trees, the river and sheep but he was quite overwhelmed when Father Christmas and some elves got on the train!  He recognises Santa and knows that he says, "Ho, ho, ho!" thanks to Julia Donaldson's Stick Man, so that's another thing he's seen in a book which he now knows is real.  The Best Beloved was also excited, not by Father Christmas but by the steam trains and explained the narrow gauge to me in possibly a bit too much detail.





If you are in the vicinity, I thoroughly recommend this outing.  The staff (who I think may all be volunteers) were very friendly and cheerful, the enthusiastic elves led us in renditions of Jingle Bells and Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer while we waited for Father Christmas to make his way to our carriage and when he arrived, he didn't rush but gave every family as much time as they needed with him, happily posing for photographs.  He gave appropriate, good quality gifts to the children, even Cottontail got one and her ticket was free! (When The Teacher booked the tickets she had to give the children's genders and ages.)  After the journey, we went to the tearoom where we were each given a cup of mulled wine (or fruit juice) and a warm mince pie. 
 
I expect things will ramp up a notch this week but as it does, I shall continue to drink Earl Grey from my festive mug every morning, open my calendars, read a chapter of The Christmas Mystery and light a tealight every evening and this routine will,  think, provide the framework which will hold me together, joyfully.  
 
See you soon.
Love, Mrs Tiggywinkle x

18 comments:

  1. Oh, I remember the Santa steam train days out when my two were young, magical. Christmas is a lovely time of year but especially so when there's children in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I entirely agree, Jo. This is the first year that Tom Kitten is really aware of "Christmas" and it's enchanting to look at it through his eyes. x

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you have found some Christmas magic. It's wonderful to see it through a childs' eyes. Enjoy the season and I do hope someone turns up to look after those animals very soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules, I think you're right about the magic. Some wooden people have turned up in Bethlehem now, and not before time! x

      Delete
  3. What fun to share such lovely moments with Tom Kitten. Those biscuits sound delicious. Definitely the time of year for lots of baking. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The biscuits ticked all the boxes, Barbara, and I'm looking forward to more baking this month. x

      Delete
  4. What a fun outing with Tom Kitten and Cottontail. I'm glad you're feeling relaxed. Love your traditions of tea and candles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorrie. I can't remember a time when I have felt so relaxed in December and I am definitely enjoying it. I spent yesterday morning at a toddlers' Christmas party and the afternoon watching a Christmas film with my daughter - on a Tuesday! Tea and candles are small things which bring me great pleasure. x

      Delete
  5. What a lovely holiday outing for the family. I took my boys on the narrow gauge in Colorado and they were none too impressed. We made the mistake of sitting in the first open car behind the steam engine and were covered in black pellets by the end of it. :/ Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy. I never really understand it when people get nostalgic about steam trains because they are dirty and smelly and if you look out of the window, you get smut in your eye and that's not nice, never mind the hard wooden seats and lack of comfort. Once a year with Father Christmas is enough for me. x

      Delete
  6. That's the best way to spend this time of year, enjoying it with family especially if they are on the tiny side. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a completely different ball game, isn't it? Which reminds me - thanks to you, I am crocheting an Amish puzzle ball for Cottontail for Christmas. x

      Delete
  7. How very cosy and quietly festive, I've been opening a door on my advent calendar each morning. The steam train looks wonderful, what a great adventure for you all:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really good trip, Rosie, and one I have recommended to my grandparent friends. I'm glad I'm not the only adult who enjoys an Advent calendar. x

      Delete
  8. This all sounds very festive and a lovely way to prepare for Christmas. Like you, I love opening my Advent calendar each day and counting down the days until Christmas. Enjoy your knitting - I have a dark yarn on the needles and know what you mean about it being hard on the eyes! Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, my other current knitting project is navy blue and it's a nightmare! Next winter I shall have to go for cream. I'm glad you enjoy the daily countdown too, I know some people who just don't get it. x

      Delete
  9. A relaxing kind of organised I would say - Keep it up and don't cave in to Christmas mayhem. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo. I sometimes feel that I am in the eye of a storm as the mayhem whirls around me, and I remember that I used to enjoy being involved in that mayhem and barely recognise myself. x

      Delete