Tuesday 21 April 2015

Loveliest of trees

Hello, thank you for calling in.  We are enjoying lovely warm, sunny weather here and I am getting a bit excited about the weekend as I am off to the annual Poetry Festival in Much Wenlock on Saturday - I'll tell you more about it on Friday.  In the meantime, to get us in the mood, here is a short poem which was published by A.E. Housman in 1896 in A Shropshire Lad and is accompanied by two photographs taken by me this morning. 

 
Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.
 
Now, of my threescore years and ten,       
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.
 
And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,        
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.
 

 




Now, I may appear to be too late for Eastertide, but apparently the season of Easter lasts until Pentecost, which is in May, so I reckon I can get away with it and anyway, this tree was not in flower on Easter Sunday.  I should also confess that this particular cherry tree stands not in any woodland but in my street, and very welcome she is, too.  She is certainly the loveliest tree in the street.
 
See you on Friday for a bit more poetry.
 
Love, Mrs Tiggywinkle x

4 comments:

  1. It really is a lovely tree. You're lucky to have such a beauty in your street!
    My parents-in-law gave me a lovely copy of 'A Shropshire Lad' a few years ago. I'm going to have a read later. Thanks for inspiring me to enjoy some poetry today. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cherry blossoms are lovely, and I'm a fan of poems that rhyme. Have a good time at the poetry festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time at the weekend... I believe the weather is going to be a little more variable. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Certainly the lovliest of trees but the blue sky! Wow!! It's so brilliant that it almost hurts my eyes!
    The sun is getting warmer by the day now and although the evenings and mornings are chilly most of our days are gorgeously warm!
    There must have been less than average rain in April, so I guess we might pay for it lateron! My garden is so dry
    Sending love

    ReplyDelete