Monday 4 April 2016

Strange Forces At Work

Hello, thank you for dropping in.  My last post was about Dame Judi Dench's inauspicious London theatre debut by way of the 1982 Royal Shakespeare Company's production of The Winter's Tale and having seen this morning's news, I feel I need to write again. 
 
The Olivier Awards are given to recognise excellence in professional theatre in London and they are generally regarded as the highest honour in British theatre.  Last night, Dame Judi Dench received the award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for playing Paulina in.....The Winter's Tale.  In the 1982 production which I saw, the role of Paulina was played by Sheila Hancock, who was also nominated for the Olivier Award that year, although the prize was ultimately awarded to Anna Massey for her performance in The Importance of Being Earnest, a play in which Dame Judi was nominated for Actress of the Year in a Revival for her performance as Lady Bracknell, although she didn't win, either.  Are you still with me?!
 
I am ever-so-slightly reeling.  Now then, I don't believe in coincidence, but I wonder what it was that drew me to choose that particular theatre programme to write about last week and to choose to relate it to my own 1982 theatre visit?  There were many others to choose from.  I didn't know that Dame Judi played in The Winter's Tale last year, or that the Olivier Awards ceremony was this weekend; at least, I don't think I knew.  And when I drew a little-used book from the shelf yesterday, a book which I have had for more than thirty years, a small clutch of theatre tickets fell from the pages, including this one -
 
 
 
As I said, I don't believe in coincidence...
 
See you soon.
 
Love, Mrs Tiggywinkle x

9 comments:

  1. That is oh so spooky! Judi Dench well deserves all the awards she gets. Somehow as she ages her acting gets even better. One of my all time favourites. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very spooky! I thought of you and your post when I saw the report on the news this morning. Does seem more than conincidence doesn't it?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is quite incredible! An amazing coincidence!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I don't know what else you would call it.That is definitely an eerie moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hum, bit more than a coincidence I think, some other force at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a bit of a Halloween tale! Is there a theatre ghost guiding your hand Mrs. Tiggy? OOooeeeoooo!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spooky, what does it all mean though??!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is weird how these things happen sometimes isn't it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooer, that is peculiar, isn't it?? xx

    ReplyDelete