Tuesday 14 February 2017

More Drops Fabel Socks

Hello, thank you for dropping in.   The weather here is still very grey, although we have had  a couple of sunny days to lift my spirits and tempt me outdoors - well wrapped up against the cold, of course.  At this time of year, I wouldn't be without my handknitted socks.  Not only do they keep my feet toasty and cosy, but their jolly stripes bring colour into the drabbest days and cheer my soul.  Who would fail to smile at the sight of these peeking out beneath their trouser hems? 

 

The other day I was at The Teacher's house and when I took off my boots she said, "Those are your Seaside Socks!"  I wrote about knitting a pair of socks with Drops Fabel yarn in November and this pair is my second (ad)venture with this yarn.  This colour is called Blue Sea and having initially knitted a pair for a sailing sister, I fell in love with it and had to knit another for myself.  Before knitting, it looks like this. -

 
 
After knitting, it looks like this. -
 
 
When I look at this I see turquoise sea, blue waves topped with white crests, sandy beaches and rocky headlands.  I see red and green seaweed, little striped topshells and tiny orange and yellow flat periwinkles.  Images from last years wonderful seaside holidays in Cornwall, The Scillies and Guernsey fill my head and those happy memories make me smile. All of this in a humble sock!
 


 
 
 

 
I finished knitting these socks while we were in Guernsey and took one down to the beach for a photoshoot.  I explained to The Mathematician, who has a good eye for composition, that I wanted a photo of the sock which portrayed its relationship with the sand, the sea, the seaweed and the shells, but I obviously didn't explain it very well because she took this, which wasn't quite what I meant! -
 
 
Bless her!
 
 See you soon.
 
Love, MrsTiggywinkle x
 


20 comments:

  1. Love my knitted socks too, wouldn't be without their stripy loveliness. That blue is gorgeous will have to get a ball and make some. Enjoying knitting a pair with 25% bamboo as well as wool. They're really soft. Can't wait to finish them. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. Does your yarn have any synthetic fibre in for durability or does the bamboo perform that function? I usually look for 75% wool and 25% nylon but am keen to try something new. xx

      Delete
  2. I am in awe of your sock knitting, they are beautiful. Amazing what wonderful memories are evoked with the colours in yarn, I know exactly what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you are very kind. I am so glad you get it! xx

      Delete
  3. Love your socks! They are great colours aren't they and definitely reminiscent of the seaside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. The problem now is that they make me really want to go to the seaside! xx

      Delete
  4. My sis year old daughter saw the photo with your lovely hand knitted sock and the beach in the background and she asked 'What is that sock doing in that picture? Strange.' But I do like your socks, the colours are fantastic and do remind me of the seaside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful blue they are and so bright and cheerful with the added bonus of all those wonderful seaside memories too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!!!
    I want knitted socks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good in your cosy socks. Such pretty colours. You'll have to knit co-ordinating socks for each of your holidays.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am seriously tempted to do just that. Two of my pairs have developed holes so I need some new ones. xx

      Delete
  8. Oh, that's cute! Lovely colors of your socks and the sea! You do wonderful work! xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. The perfect socks to banish winter blues!! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and counteract these unremitting grey skies, Jan. xx

      Delete
  10. Hee hee! Lovely composition in this last photo - it looks like it could be hanging on a washing line. What fabulous socks and great photos. Enjoy your seaside socks. Marie x

    ReplyDelete